Lupe Fiasco on his Songwriting Process


Lupe described his songwriting process and shared the draft of 'Words I Never Said' with the Atlantic Magazine for their May issue. Check what he told them below:

I’M NOT THE TYPE THAT WRITES before I have music. I know some people that do that. When I’m creating something specifically for an album, I’ll sit down with the track and communicate with the music first.

A lot of times, I write in the studio. It’s usually just the engineer and me, and I’m either writing at the engineer’s desk - where the mixing board and all that stuff is—or with the music playing through the speakers or headphones.

I write down a line, I’ll go record it. With this song, I’d write a little bit, record that, then maybe stop for a bit. Listen to the track a few more times, write a little, record a little more.

Click HERE to read more! - Thanks to @MrG3nius for the heads up!

19 comments:

  1. Wow!!
    That, right there, is something special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ It def is! I wonder how much someone would pay for that draft lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hardy could make out a word lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hardy could make out a word

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I wonder if he ends up selling these. i know i would be willing to pay a fair amount for something like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have a draft of Hurt Me Soul printed and framed on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made out a word? I am proud of you. I thought this was a joke till i actually read it. Definately for lupe's eyes only.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol if i were an english teacher and saw this, i would just fail him b/c i can't read shit lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can read it but maybe thats cuz I have to read my chicken scratch so I'm used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neva gonna happen the wins video is gonna become the new "the instrumental" vid

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow... lupe writes like SHIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats how people write when their writing fast and getting the rough of what they want to rap/sing out out. I can read that, cause I've written like that before for songs It's actually pretty neat compared to some artist who write lyrics all over the page

    ReplyDelete
  13. if you know whst your looking for the lyrics arent that hard to read

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't read a word, but the big picture of this draft i.e. his writing looks extra cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it is an abstract art and most probably it is songwriting method that only it's author can read and no one else could steal this song or any material is it so..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment - have a nice day !

LUPEND. Powered by Blogger.